The magic of these “mashed potatoes” is that they really and truly give you the feeling that you’re eating mashed potatoes. They have that mashed potato comfort food quality and they taste completely delicious. I know, I know…you think I’m just saying that to feel better because I don’t eat carbs and potatoes are off the list. But honestly, these really do work and taste fantastic. I know it’s hard to imagine how a cauliflower gets turned into a fluffy, tasty, gravy-holder that isn’t thin and watery. Try it and you’ll see for yourself.
If you want to up the yumminess, put them in a baking dish with some cheddar cheese on top and bake at 350° until the cheese is melted.
You will need a food processor for this recipe.
- 2 large heads cauliflower, about 2 1/4 pounds each
- 4 tablespoons butter or ghee (clarified butter) for dairy free
- 1/2-1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Cut cauliflower in half. Remove leaves and core. Roughly chop into about 1-inch pieces. The pieces don't need to look pretty since they are getting pureed.
- Steam cauliflower: Put a few inches of water in a pot that holds a steamer basket. Put cauliflower in steamer basket and put basket in pot. Bring water to a boil and steam cauliflower until very tender when pierced with a fork. Do not under cook or there will be little firm chunks that won't puree properly. Depending on the size of your steamer basket, you may need to steam the cauliflower in 2 batches.
- Put steamed cauliflower and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until completely smooth. You may need to stop the processor and scrape down the bowl once. Depending on the size of your food processor, you may also need to do this in 2 batches. If so, divide the butter into 2 batches as well. The cauliflower needs butter in it to puree well.
- Transfer pureed cauliflower to a greased oven-proof baking dish. Top with grated cheese to taste, if using. I like lots of cheese so I use the full 1 cup.
- May be made up to this point a day ahead of time and kept covered in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, preheat oven to 350°. Place in oven until warmed through and cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes.