Are you looking for a quick and easy dinner that’s also delicious? Here’s a tasty one-pan chicken and vegetable dish that can happily be made with rotisserie chicken from the store. You slice a few vegetables, fry them, stir in some spices and mix with shredded chicken. That’s all there is to it!
Serve this chicken and vegetable dish as a sandwich with Arepas, over rice, with tortillas, or on a bed of shredded cabbage or lettuce. I serve this with condiments at the table to dress it up, make it more festive and add yumminess. They take very little time and add a lot. Things like cubed avocado, chopped tomatoes, sour cream and grated cheese are delicious with this. Guacamole makes a great addition as well.
- 3 medium onions, sliced into thin half-rounds
- 5 large red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika (highly recommend the Chiquilin brand)
- salt to taste
- 10 cups shredded cooked chicken (I use homemade roast chickens, if I have the time, or I buy rotisserie chickens)
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and sliced onions. Cook onions for a few minutes until softened slightly. While onions are cooking, slice the peppers: cut each pepper in half the long way, remove stem and seeds, and cut into thin strips. Add peppers to the onions, stir, and cook until vegetables are soft and lightly browned. Adjust heat as they cook to prevent burning.
- Add all the spices to the vegetables and cook for an additional few minutes, stirring. Pour contents of pan into a large bowl.
- Add shredded chicken, mix with vegetables, and add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately with Arepas, tacos, or over rice. This tastes great with condiments such as cubed avocado, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, and sour cream served on the side.