We all couldn’t wait until Thanksgiving to have pumpkin pie and needed a preview. I’ve tinkered with the spices in this recipe and made it even better. Check it out!
Gluten free pumpkin pie has got to be the easiest pie ever. You mix everything in 1 bowl and pour it into the unbaked pie crust. A crust made of almond flour is gluten free and low carb and even easier than a wheat flour crust because there’s no rolling out and no worrying about whether your crust is going to be flaky enough. You just press the dough into the pie plate with your fingers. Almond flour crust is totally forgiving and the almonds complement the pumpkin. Plus you don’t have the soggy crust under the pumpkin problem. Take a look at my recipe for Almond Flour Crust.
I LOVE pumpkin pie and have lots of opinions about it. Surprise. Here’s what I hate – pumpkin pie that’s too sweet to hide the fact that it’s basically bland, with a soggy tasteless crust. I’m also not a fan of pumpkin pie that has a flan-like consistency. Cook’s Illustrated goes on about silky smooth pumpkin pie that isn’t grainy. I’ve tried their pie and it wasn’t my favorite, and not because it’s a lot of work. I like my pumpkin pie to have a little tooth and density to it, with spices that are present but still soft. A firm, flavorful, pumpkin-y pie.
The only trick you need to know about pumpkin pie is how to get it into the oven. If the filling sloshes over the pie crust, as you put it in the oven, then you’re toast. That spot will burn as it bakes and look ugly. I speak from experience. That usually happens when you push the pie plate along the oven rack and it doesn’t slide nicely but sticks on the metal oven rack. Here’s the trick: put the pie on a rimmed baking pan. The pan will slide along the oven rack more easily than the pie plate.
- Almond Flour Crust recipe, unbaked
- 1 15 ounce can of pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces half and half or coconut milk for paleo diet
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In medium bowl beat eggs. Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into unbaked almond flour crust pie shell.
- Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Put carefully into the oven so that the filling doesn't slosh over the crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350° and continue baking for 40-50 minutes or until the edges are set and an instant read thermometer inserted in the center reads 175,° or a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before serving.